500 Classes at Modo Yoga
Today, I completed my 500th class at Modo Yoga. It's crazy to think I've taken 500 classes at one studio over the past three years. As Yoga Sutra 1.14 says,
Of course, I had a few breaks here and there: three months at YogaWorks during teacher training; a few odd weeks on class pass; and times of pure laziness.
The pull of Modo always brought me back. Before I started going to Modo, I tried other studios, but couldn't find a place that exemplified my "yoga values" more. To celebrate the time I've spent there, below are a few reasons why I love Modo.
Why I Love Modo
- The focus is on yoga - They don't need crazy music, puppies, or other gimmicks to have a popular studio. They really focus on the practice, plain and simple.
- They are charitable and support sustainability - From Karma classes to their "challenges," Modo is always raising money for various causes. Their studios are also built to be sustainable with eco-friendly products and floors.
- The instructors care - This is a huge selling points for me. If I'm going to spend so much time somewhere, I might as well like the people. From day 1, the instructors at Modo always made me feel like I was an important member of the studio, and after three years we have built close friendships that I value. Shout-out to all of my favorite people there - you know who you are!
- Hot yoga is fun - Hot yoga isn't for everyone, but I love it. It helps detox your body, tests your limits, and teaches you to respect those limits. But remember to hydrate!
- They are flexible - I don't mean flexible physically (even though they are that too!), but I mean that they encourage modifying a practice to make it your own. I don't like when instructors force you into poses. You never know people's injuries or backstories, unless you ask. Modo yogis always ask before they adjust, and they sprinkle every practice with modifications. The practice is your own, so I value when I'm encouraged to explore what I need in my body.
Of course there are other good studios in the city, but this is a place that fits my values well. Check out Modo's site here or come to a class with me anytime.